Ciudad Real is a quiet and cheap small comercial and University town in the heart of La Mancha 200km south from Madrid.
The History of Ciudad Real (Royal Town) began on February 20th 1255, when the King of Castile and Leon Alfonso X created by “Carta Puebla” (Magna Carta) a small village called Villa Real near Toledo.
The project was to have a commercial and administrative center of the Crown in the middle of the territories of the powerful Military Orders, specially The Calatrava Order.
For the new Village, Hi ordered to built a wall around it, in the form of an oval, with seven Gates, giving privileges to its population.
Santiago’s church tower, and Alarco’s church.
The Toledo’s Gate of Ciudad Real from 13th Century
In the year 1420 the King of Castile and Leon Juan II, gave it the title to Ciudad Real (Royal Town).
In the year 1691 was created the Province of La Mancha, with its capital city in Ciudad Real.
In 1796 was open the Hospital of Ciudad Real.Ciudad Real’s old Hospital, now the University of Castilla-La Mancha.
In 26th mars 1809 the napoleonic army held Ciudad Real, after a battle between the Napoleonic Army and Spanish Army in Ciudad Real, see “The battle of the Guadiana Bridges in Ciudad Real in 1809” , after the spanish defeat Napoleonic troops held Ciudad Real and using its Hospital as cavalry HeadQuartier and Barracks. Now it’s the Rector facilities of University of Castilla-La Mancha.